Monday 10 June 2013

a tour of milla's nursery




One of the first things I got really excited about when I found out I was having a little girl was designing a nursery for her.  I was surrounded by little boy's cars, trains, and dinosaurs all day long and it was so nice to get to do something feminine finally!  My husband proposed to me on top of the Eiffel Tower so Paris always has a very special place in my heart.  I really wanted to have a Parisian feel in the nursery and the Paris map print from Famille Summerbelle was my inspiration.

I knew I wanted a neutral color palette because all the baby equipment, toys and books are quite colorful and I didn't want the room to compete with all the colors that would eventually fill the room.  Previously the room was used as a guest room and luckily I decided to paint the room a warm gray when we first moved in.  I really love this wall color and was more than happy to keep it in the nursery.

The gray Stokke Sleepi crib was a hand me down from my son and the cooler gray of the crib layers in really well with the wall color.  The taupe carpet was inherited from when we purchased the house and was a bit too brown for my taste.  Instead of replacing the carpet I layered a gorgeous rug from West Elm (rolled up nicely in my suitcase from a trip to America) which also adds a nice pattern to the room.  The white Petrie armchair from Crate and Barrel moved with us over the pond 7 years ago and is still in great condition.  I love the clean modern lines of this chair and has worked in so many different rooms for us.  I love that it adds a touch of sophistication among all of the more delicate children's furniture.  The dresser from the Little White Company is also a hand me down from my son and would work well in any nursery.

I found really cute tissue paper pom poms at Indian Summer on Fulham Road and they have such a nice vintage feel to them.  And the best part is that my daughter loves staring at them.  My very talented friend Heidi made the personalized mouse print for me when Milla was born.  Her website of amazing prints is launching soon so I will be sure to keep you posted.  The other 2 water color paintings were done by yours truly which I recently sold at my son's Christmas fair at school.  (Please message me if you are interested as I would love to take orders!)  The Eiffel Tower wall sticker I picked up at The Cross in Holland Park and works perfectly with my Parisian themed room.

I really love this space and I think the room can easily grow with my daughter.  I didn't want the room too childish and I think I can easily swap in more grown up furniture as she outgrows the nursery pieces.  Unfortunately the nursery is getting torn down and rebuilt in a couple of weeks to make room for the larger kitchen downstairs.  I'm definitely going to keep her room close to what it is now and maybe add in a feature wallpaper.  

Definitely no boys allowed in here!










8.  Fara Lamp and Fenn Pinched Pleat Silk Shade from Laura Ashley

No comments:

Post a Comment