Tuesday 31 May 2011

Ursula Hitz - A Swiss Miss in London



I walk pass the Grapefruit Gallery on Fulham Road countless times a week while I'm running errands, going to the grocery store because I am once again out of milk, to queue in the never ending line at the post office, and all sorts of other mundane daily tasks.  I can't help but stop and stare at these amazing prints that are always on display.  Today there was a new print in the window that I just couldn't take my eyes off of and went in yet again to bug the staff.  However this time I did not leave empty handed!

These amazing typographic maps of London, New York, Paris, and Zurich are created by the up and coming Swiss artist Ursula Hitz who has been living in London for the past 10 years. What is so incredible about her prints is that the text is very dynamic and energetic while capturing the spirit of the city.  I just love how something so functional and everyday has been turned into art that is truly unique and fun.  The print that drew my attention today is Ursula's new Zurich map.  I love the crisp white Helvetica text printed against the lively royal blue making the map just so fresh and exciting.  With Father's Day coming up I just had to get it for my husband who is Swiss and from Zurich.  I knew that this would be the perfect gift as it has such a strong personal connection and will remind him of one of his favorite places. 

I just can't wait for the piece to go up on the wall and we will all really enjoy it for years to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment